New to Medicare?
If you are approaching age 65, it’s time to think about enrolling in Medicare, the health insurance program from the Federal government.
It’s important to make decisions in a timely way, because there are certain windows of time when you are allowed to enroll. If you miss these windows, you might have to pay more and have fewer choices.
For most people, there is a seven-month window to enroll – anytime from the three months before your 65th birthday through the three months after the month of your birthday.
The best way to decide which plan is right for you is to start by thinking about your own medical history and needs.
Here are some questions you might ask yourself:
- What prescription drugs do you use? How many, and what do they cost?
- What ongoing health conditions do you have?
- What doctors do you see regularly (both primary care and specialists such as cardiologists)?
- Can you estimate your overall healthcare costs for the last few years?
- Do you need extra financial help paying for Medicare?
VNSNY CHOICE offers a variety of Medicare health plans with different benefits and coverages. To learn more, our Medicare Advantage section is a great place to start.
This is a Medicare-related page; some of the links will take you to non-Medicare information or to a different website.
Last updated 11/16/2017